HD Icon, top right of screen.

General chit chat, generally Mac related, but doesn't have to be.

Moderator: terlga

HD Icon, top right of screen.

Postby Morgi » August 3rd, 2011, 7:49 pm

Being new to Mac's, I have recently bought a book, 'Mac Basics in Simple steps' by Tom Myer. On page 18, The Desktop, it explains about the Macintosh HD icon in the top right corner of the desktop. there is an ALERT entry that states, "Never try to delete, move or eject your Macintosh HD icon. However, it is okay to rename your start-up disk to something friendlier if you like".

OPS!!!!! before buying the book, I had successfully removed it; where to, I know not!!!! Doing so, does not seem to have adversely affected my MacBook Pro in any way. Do I need to worry, is there a way to get the icon back?

Please HELP.
Morgi :oops:
Morgi

Re: HD Icon, top right of screen.

Postby terlga » August 4th, 2011, 11:41 am

Hi Morgi.
The answer is YES.
First click on the desktop-click on Finder in the top menu-click preferences from the drop down list- click General an tick box next to Hard Disks and your HD Icon should re-appear.
Terry. :D
PS. Do you receive 2 "SWMUG Reminder" emails before monthly meetings? If not (and anyone else) please let me know.
terlga
ADMIN

Postby Morgi » August 4th, 2011, 7:57 pm

Many ThankTerry. You solved my problem in just a little more time than it took to read it; BRILLIANT!
I'm very impressed. Thanks again.

Yes, I have been getting the two "SWMUG Reminder" emails before the monthly meetings. I'd love to attend but because of the distance involved and my senior years, (excuses excuses) I don't.
I live in the far west of Wales, in fact, if I lived any further west I'd get my feet wet!

Anyway, many thanks again. Regards to all.

Morgi.
Morgi

Postby mike dinham » August 9th, 2011, 10:12 am

Hello Terry,
Would you please send me a reminder of monthly meetings?
I will try to attend.
Many thanks
Regards
Mike
mike dinham

Postby terlga » August 9th, 2011, 10:25 am

Hi Mike, you should get 2 reminders with the mass emails I send out each month, there are a few email addresses which don't receive these emails, so I have compiled an extra list to which I manually send the emails, I shall add your address to this list.
Terry.
terlga
ADMIN

Return to General