Microsoft Word for Mac or iWork?

General chit chat, generally Mac related, but doesn't have to be.

Moderator: terlga

Microsoft Word for Mac or iWork?

Postby Morgi » January 4th, 2011, 8:25 pm

I'm new to Mac's and I want to buy some Office software for my new MacBook Pro. I've looked at two packages; 1 Microsoft Word for Mac's and 2 iWork. I'd like to be able to use Word and Exsel files I have on my PC. Is there anyone out there who has used ether of these and what do you think of them. any advice would be appreciated.posting.php?mode=post&f=1#
Thank in anticipation. Morgi
Morgi

Re: Microsoft Office for Mac or iWork?

Postby Morgi » January 6th, 2011, 10:26 pm

Correction to line two in my post; it should read 'Microsoft Office for Mac'
Morgi
Morgi

Re: Microsoft Word for Mac or iWork?

Postby simplypete » May 20th, 2011, 3:02 am

Have used both and word is fine if used on only 1 mac in a household or office. There has been issues when running multiple versions of office 2011 on a network if the mac's all have the same uid (ie if they were all setup as standalone machines rather than machines that log into snow leopard server 10.6) - you can get occasional write permission errors, but other than that it's an ok product. I have had iWork on my mac for ages and have yet to get around to fully using it properly, however it reads and writes office documents and is fully compatible so I guess the choice comes down to cost.
simplypete

Re: Microsoft Word for Mac or iWork?

Postby Morgi » June 10th, 2011, 10:35 pm

Thanks simplypete for your reply to my request for help. I have since downloaded all three elements of iWork, Pages, Keynote and Numbers from the App Store saving myself around £40.00 and I'm very pleased with them.
Thanks again. Morgi.
Morgi

Return to General