Wireless router home networking advice...?

General chit chat, generally Mac related, but doesn't have to be.

Moderator: terlga

Wireless router home networking advice...?

Postby timhudson1 » September 3rd, 2010, 5:47 pm

Hi Everyone,
Could I please ask for some assistance or advice from anyone that could help? I'm looking to replace my current Netgear DGH834G v2 wireless router. Of late it has become a little unreliable and I have found on occasion I need to turn it off to almost re-boot it as as it appears to have "frozen". I currently run off the router my iMac version 10.6.4 OS X, an iPhone 4, occasional use of PS3 for gaming and BBC iplayer. My daughter also uses her Dell netbook and ipod touch when she stays over.

I recently renewed my I.S.P contract with AOL for broadband and home telephone, they have sent me a new D-Link DSL-2640R wireless modem router, the easy fix would be to use this but i've been reading that they don't work well with MAC and even the installation disc is of no use to me for setting up. Compared to the Netgear it also seems cheap and lacking quality...? I've been looking at a Belkin N+ Wireless modem router rated "Editors choice" by Macworld.

I would greatly appreciate anyones views, knowledge or advice on the subject...

Thank you in advance for any potential replies.. :mrgreen:

Best regards
Tim.....
timhudson1

Re: Wireless router home networking advice...?

Postby terlga » September 4th, 2010, 12:26 pm

I used to use a D Link and had no problems with it, the only reason I stopped using it was because I went on to BT Fibre.
Set up is easy going straight into the D Link menu. Otherwise the top of the range Netgear is also good.:D
terlga
ADMIN

Re: Wireless router home networking advice...?

Postby timhudson1 » September 4th, 2010, 5:02 pm

Thanks for the reply…maybe I will see out the life of my Netgear and then start using the D-link currently kept in reserve. One good thing about this option is it won't cost anymore money. Glad you confirmed no issues with the d-link, what I read suggested it was a nightmare when used with a MAC.

Thanks again for the advice…
Regards
Tim… :mrgreen:
timhudson1

Return to General