Mighty Mouse Scroll Ball problems! Any advice?!?

General chit chat, generally Mac related, but doesn't have to be.

Moderator: terlga

Mighty Mouse Scroll Ball problems! Any advice?!?

Postby Schlagzeuger » April 15th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Hi All,

I'm having problems with my wireless Mighty Mouse. The scroll ball isn't scrolling anymore. It was only scrolling one way until recently. I can press it to open expose but that is the only thing it will now do.

I keep it clean, and have tried using a small paintbrush to make sure any 'bits' haven't fallen into the crevice. It worked a few times but not any more! I can't see any screws to take it apart for a closer look. Has anyone else suffered with this problem before? Has anyone taken their's apart?

I don't want to spend £48 on a new mouse if it is something I can easily fix. Any advice please?
Schlagzeuger

Re: Mighty Mouse Scroll Ball problems! Any advice?!?

Postby Schlagzeuger » April 16th, 2009, 12:44 am

Sorted it now....

It seems the only way you can gain access to the inside of the mouse is to cut it open!!! :shock:

Anyway.... I managed to get the small paintbrush bristles in (along with turning the mouse upside-down and blasting it with some air!) and went around the ball as much as possible to clear any debris and it has worked!

So there we have it... You know what to do if it happens to you!
Schlagzeuger

Postby welshgold » April 24th, 2009, 5:58 am

OOOps only just seen your email.....but I had the same problem in that I could only scroll up and not down, only had this Apple 3 months, so I took my mouse down to AT Computers in Cardiff (where I bought it) and they just dampened a cloth with water, rubbed it over the scroll ball and now it's working perfectly! Well done AT Computers!
welshgold

Postby frostymfx » June 27th, 2009, 10:17 pm

Hi All

I know that this thread is a few months old now, but for future reference here are a few tips for cleaning your mighty mouse
1. just a little warm water on a clean cloth just enough to leave it damp and rub the scroll ball vigoursly.
2. find your self a nice clean sheet of paper, printer paper will do just nicely place on a flat surface turn your mouse upside down
and rub the scroll ball back and fore on the paper until clean.

oh and its recommended to unplug the mouse first lol :)
frostymfx

Return to General