Aperture 2 teething problems.....

General chit chat, generally Mac related, but doesn't have to be.

Moderator: terlga

Aperture 2 teething problems.....

Postby welshgold » March 2nd, 2009, 5:33 pm

Hi All,

Well, I've finally made the huge plunge after years of struggling with Windows (every 2-3 years having to reformat my computers hard drive :x ) and listening to other photographers who swear by Apples' ability to process their photographs with ease I've bought a 24" (superb screen) imac and so far (touch wood) it's been all I've told it would be - fast, slick, virus free (again touch wood), etc, etc,. My son who serves with the Welsh Guards and due a stint in Afghanistan bought an Apple laptop recently and thought that with it he could keep in touch via emails etc. so that was the final straw and I bought this hoping to link up seamlessly!

Anyway, apart from being on a huge learning curve and after struggling with Windows for years, I now have another problem - getting to grips with Apples' photoshop equivalent Aperture 2. My main problem is how do I transfer images from my cf card into a newly created folder? I've been through all the Apple help videos etc. but can't really make any sense of it all. Is there a book anyone can recommend? or can anyone tell me how to do it?

Thanks in anticipation
Graham
http://www.morgoldenretrievers.co.uk
welshgold

Re: Aperture 2 teething problems.....

Postby terlga » March 3rd, 2009, 7:33 pm

Hi Graham, welcome to the forum. You never hear of people who move from windows to Macs ever going back. Not only will you be able to keep in touch with your son via email but also with audio and video using iChat or SKYPE.
Sorry to hear you are having problems with Aperture 2, I suggest you come to the next meeting this Saturday, I am sure there will be someone there who can give you advice, Jack will be there and he will certainly be able to help you. :P
Terry.
terlga
ADMIN

Postby welshgold » March 4th, 2009, 8:23 pm

Thanks for the info Terry, and I would have loved to come to my first meeting on Saturday but unfortunately it's 'gundog' day at Crufts and since we're Golden Retriever breeders and we've arranged this day for months we really have to go to the NEC! How often are the meetings? are they monthly? would like to come to the next one.
I don't know if Jack could advise me on the downloading and file creating in Aperture - would be much appreciated. Another query I have in Aperture is how do I reduce the size (in pixels) of an image so that I could upload them to the web site I'm using (Clikpic) - they insist on 72dpi and a width no wider than 600.

All the best
Graham
welshgold

Postby terlga » March 5th, 2009, 5:05 pm

Hi Graham, please check out the forum under the heading Meetings for info, we meet on the first Saturday each month.
Terry. :)
terlga
ADMIN

Postby jack » March 7th, 2009, 12:33 pm

Hi Grahm,
I notice you got your answer on the Apple forum.
But to make a few things clear
DPI means dots per inch and it only applies twhen you are printing using a printer, its nothing to do with sending photographs over the internet. This is a common miss understanding.

The Pixel size on your computer is normaly square but you can make it oblong for video editing. Normally left on square for photography. You can`t change the number of pixels on your computer. what you are asked to do to send photograph to a website is to use less pixels. The rule is the more pixels you use to make up your photograph the more detailed the photo is, but to send it can take a long time to upload your end and download the other end and uses more bandwidth and more hard drive space for storage in short more resorces. So they ask you to limit the number of pixels you use to make up you picture, in your example 600x600 max this means that its quicker to upload and download and take less hard drive space but the down side is that you do start to loose picture quality. So its trying to choose a happy medium.

As for using Aperture I`m sorry I can`t help you there I only use Final Cut Pro for video editing.

I checked with friend of mine who doesn`t use Apeture but he says he uploads his pictures unrestricted as they are to a website http://www.storegate.co.uk (its free to join) and then makes a folder in the site with a series of photographs in it names the folder then emails his clients where to get them and they can the download what they want.

Hope this helps a bit

Jack
jack

Return to General